Saturday, April 3, 2021

Corona Daily 134: First Hand Experience


I am writing today’s column on my reserves. It was a struggle to get up from bed, and reach my computer chair. My body is aching. Last night was awful. An uncontrolled shivering attack meant I went to bed wearing a jacket, enveloped in a duvet. I lost count of how many times I had to visit the bathroom. My fever is about 101 F (38.5 C). Haven’t measured it, but I know because my wife, my brother, my neighbours, and a couple of friends have 101 F. No, none of us has covid-19, I don’t think. This is sort of self-inflicted. This week, India made 45+ eligible for vaccines. We all took our Oxford shot (called Covishield in India) yesterday, and are in bad shape today.

*****

There is nothing like a first-hand experience (or first-arm experience). You can spend hours and weeks studying everything on the coronavirus. But nothing can match empirical evidence. Yes, my left arm is sore and sensitive. During last night’s sleep, I was like a circus acrobat, trying to avoid leaning on that arm.

Honestly, despite my year-long research, I was not prepared for this. My parents in their eighties had no after effects. They have had both their shots. If they didn’t suffer, how can a marathon runner like me suffer? Well, it seems science is exactly the reverse of common sense.

Younger people with higher immunity suffer more. Because their bodies start fighting the vaccine with all their strength. Elderly people, their immunity weak with ageing, report few side effects. In short, I am supposed to feel happy for my flattened state. If I am bad, my immunity system is good.

*****

Are the side effects worse if you already had Covid-19? It appears so. My brother was under house arrest for five weeks last August-September. He had symptoms for about ten days, but his tests continued to be positive. Of all of us, he is in the worst state. He says he is almost in the same physical condition today as he was when he contracted Covid-19 last year.

Because my wife, neighbours, friends and I have fatigue and fever, scientists say it is possible we have had covid-19 without knowing.

*****

Dr D.V., our family friend is 59. As a doctor, on priority basis, he was fully vaccinated. This week, he has tested positive, is feeling terrible, has all the symptoms. For the next two weeks, he is to be isolated. Dr D.V. is an ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) doctor. That may make social distancing difficult. But his case shows that fully vaccinated people can still contract covid-19, and presumably spread it as well. Two vaccine shots offer no guarantee it won’t happen again. Scientists say full vaccination reduces the chances of hospitalization and death. Until we collect enough evidence to support that, better to continue life as if we haven’t taken the vaccine.

*****

There is still some confusion in India about the gap between the shots. It was meant to be four weeks. Now Covishield (Oxford) gap can be stretched up to 56 days. Covaxin (Bharat Biotech) up to 42 days.

Britain took a pragmatic and unscientific decision to give first shots to a lot more people by widening the gap between the doses. Luckily, it has worked for them. Top epidemiologists insist the gap should be whatever it was in the trials. (Four weeks for Oxford). If you ask me, take the second shot after 28 days. Cowin, the government website, allows it. My parents took their second shot yesterday after 28 days.

*****

When I browsed the internet to find out how long my misery would last, it says “a few days”. What on earth is meant by a few days? Why can’t they specify the exact number of days? Anyway, now I will be able to know empirically.

In my research, I came across the following: The Covid vaccine side effects, especially after the second dose, can be really bad. That immediately lifted my spirits. What I am experiencing today is not as bad as what will follow after four weeks.

*****

Ravi 

14 comments:

  1. Oh no
    I hope the "few days" get over in the fewest of days .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow in 6 weeks.Good to see your pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ravi hope you feel better soon...vaccine side effects have reportedly been strange and inconsistent across the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ravi,
    Get well soon. Take care. Sunil

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Ravi, hope you get better in a day or two. Both Jennifer and I had the same reaction as you are having, but after our second shot of Moderna, first one was uneventful.
    Get better soon!
    Wishing you well,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vladimir, thanks for your wishes and sharing your experience. Many of my US friends got side effects after the second Moderna shot. Every vaccine has its own whims.

      Delete
  6. Feel better soon Ravi Mama! Lots of love from Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anushka, good to get love from Los Angeles. It has brought me back on my feet.

      Delete
  7. glad that you recovered well ravi
    Lobh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see from your subsequent blog that you are feeling better. Good. I too had 30 hours of covid/flu which started with the shivers. I've also been told that it means my immune system is in fine fettle, but slightly worried about the 2nd jab!

    ReplyDelete