Sunday, August 15, 2021

Corona Daily 000: Afterword


Considering the speed at which the sub-microscopic agent had travelled the world, I felt the pandemic would become a big story. On 26 March 2020, while taking a shower, I decided to write 500 articles on 500 consecutive days to cover this once-in-a-lifetime (hopefully) event. Not having experienced a pandemic before, I had no idea what it was that I planned to write. Intuitively though, I felt the world was in for a cataclysmic shock that would produce an overwhelming amount of material. Daily reporting seemed like the only way to do justice to the scale of the crisis.

*****

Indeed, it proved to be an omni-crisis. Even during the World Wars; some nations, towns and villages were spared. Not this time. Covid-19 has entered every country, affected each individual on this planet in a variety of ways.  

My Corona Daily Capsule was disproportionately skewed towards American news sources. To a lesser extent, British newspapers and magazines. The New York Times, the Washington Post, the Economist, BBC and the Guardian have the financial muscle, a global network of offices and qualified journalists. No Asian or African media comes anywhere close. It’s not their fault. Print media in particular is a rapidly declining business, and most countries lack the money to produce objective, quality international reporting.

Not that NYT or Economist is top-class because they are in English language. Google now allows us to read any newspapers in a language we understand. By way of hyperlinks, over 1,000 newspapers and academic papers have featured in this series.

The aim was to curate and analyse trustworthy sources. I don’t have television, and don’t use WhatsApp. A responsible writer should not only give sources, but also judge their credibility. My big thanks to the five newspapers above for making the Corona Dailies possible. Sat in my chair, I “exploited” them as if they were my employees. (I was happy to pay them the subscription charges for working for me).

In this series, I have reported stories from over 100 countries. Ironically, I read some stories about India first in The New York Times, Economist or BBC. Most human stories are universal anyway. A hungry person is a hungry person, a school closure affects a child no matter where, and grief affects all races and nationalities.

*****

Some readers have urged me to continue the corona dailies till the pandemic ends. (Season two? Negative numbers for countdown?)

For storytellers, the pandemic has ended. In the first hundred days, I was spoilt for choice. There were days when I had five or six stories to choose from. In the last month, I had to invest longer hours to find a single subject. Most coronavirus stories are becoming repetitive, something I wanted to avoid. Why talk about cases, deaths and vaccines every day? There is no readability there, only data.

And that is the great news. Coronavirus is no longer novel. As a writer, my worry was not when the pandemic would end, but when the stories would end. The number 500 was about right.

*****

I must thank Mena, my wife, the first reader and editor of my writing. For each of the last five hundred days, she didn’t go to bed until my blog was posted. That is a big commitment even for an Indian wife.

Many readers sent me messages today saying they had read each of the 500 articles. In this age of Twitter, that is a monumental accomplishment. (In terms of word count, the 500 articles together are equivalent of three full-length novels.) I want to thank all my readers, known and unknown. Special thanks to Jyoti Ronghe and Becky Payne for giving me feedback on nearly all articles, and to Shirish Patel for being a super-spreader of my writing. Such engagement from readers works as a tonic for a writer.

*****

The End

© Ravi Abhyankar, 2021 

20 comments:

  1. I am sad to see this blog end.

    I do hope you'll start a new series, whatever the subject, and keep me on your mailing list.

    Thank you for keeping us updated on Corona stories from around the world.

    Meena Mani

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Meena for reading my blog every day, and your note of appreciation. Best wishes

      Delete
  2. Dear Ravi,

    By any measure, your 500 doses of Corona news, views enlightened and engaged your readers and gave us something different each day. This is a phenomenal accomplishment!

    Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and so it is with your blog. However, I think humanity itself wants this big bad thing to come to an end or to become so infinitesimal as to be of no consequence. Let's hope that happens sooner rather than later.

    Best,
    Hemendra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Hemu,

      Many thanks. Yes, we are now in the second half of the pandemic, and this half promises to be shorter than the first. Best wishes

      Delete
  3. Dear Ravi,
    Sudha & I read each of your 500 articles & we are now going to miss it. I am sure you will start something different & exciting.
    I appreciate the research you did to bring out these stories & of course, I love your style of writing with subtle humour.
    Thank you very much for educating & enlightening us.
    Best wishes,
    Vasudev & Sudha Tumbe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Appu,

      Thanks to you both for being part of the corona series throughout. See you soon.

      Ravi

      Delete
  4. Hi Ravi, your short articles every day always presented a different and a very nuanced side of the Corona story...great job..

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must work with a publisher to compile the blog and write the Corona trilogy in novel form 🙂🖖🏾Loved reading your perspectives, with your trademark humour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Apurv. Sure, it will be good to work with a publisher.

      Delete
  6. We are sad that the daily post ends today.
    We are grateful for your herculean effort that offered nuanced perspective.
    We wish you the very best for the coming days.

    Lobh,

    Aniket and Minu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aniket and Minu for your note. Best wishes to you. Ravi

      Delete
  7. BravoBravoBravo my dear friend!
    Here in Moscow, where it definitely is not over by far, there would be soooo much need in your always open and critical thoughts!
    ...to be continued, somehow, I´m sure :-)
    Obnimayu,
    Albert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Albert, thank you. Best wishes to you for your Moscow life. We will meet there in 2022.

      Delete
  8. How can I miss any of the post written by my dear friend? Thank you for acknowledging me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't not acknowledge your effort in writing a comment every day. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. I will really miss this series of blogs. I learnt so much from your short condensed and collated summaries covering every aspect of Covid. Topics I would never had time to read for myself. A very big THANK YOU. And start a new series!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky. Yes, my next writing project is virus-free.

      Delete
  10. Dear Ravi,
    So glad to discover this. As I read this, I can hear you speak.
    Waiting to read all.
    Sonal C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sonal,

      Thanks. The 500 articles were written in real time, one article a day.

      I hope you enjoy them.

      Ravi

      Delete