Thursday, April 2, 2020

Corona Daily 493: The Speeding Bus


A big bus carrying a diverse set of passengers was speeding on a highway. The passengers were having a wonderful time, singing songs and cracking jokes. Suddenly there was a crashing sound – the bus had overturned.

The survivors came to in a large hospital. The visiting doctor had been doing his rounds every day, and had been doing so for the two weeks since the crash. By now every patient had regained consciousness. The patients started getting restive.

‘Doctor, how long will I lie like this? The only thing I am watching is the cracks in the ceiling. This has never happened to me before.’
‘How did this happen? Two weeks ago, life was so wonderful. Why did this have to happen? I have so much work pending.’
‘This is so unfair. I was merely a passenger. And I have multiple fractures. Not fair.’
‘Doctor, you must give us some estimate. How much time will it take exactly before I can be home, and resume my normal life?’

Miraculously, the driver had survived the crash. He addressed the doctor. ‘I am worried about the bus.’ He said. ‘The bus must be repaired urgently, so that we can continue with our journey.’

The doctor looked sternly at the driver. ‘The bus is not going anywhere.’ He said. ‘I must first make sure you are all safe and recovering.’

Looking at the others, he said, ‘Listen. No point thinking about the bus crash. It has happened and can’t be undone. You are in a shock because you have never experienced a crash like this. It was so severe that every surviving passenger is in the hospital. Most of you have suffered multiple fractures. Some head and neck injuries, others have broken their back or spinal cord.

‘Let me tell you there are no short cuts here. Each crash is different, and each of you is different. I can only confirm you need patience. Lots of it. Enjoy the peace while you get it.’

‘Once you are back on your feet, and wish to continue your journey, remember a couple of things.’ He added. ‘If your driver can’t follow regulations or is reckless, replace him. And most importantly, monitor the speed of your bus. If it starts speeding again, there can always be another crash.'

Ravi  


2 comments: